2016 is a leap year and we all get an extra day. It falls on a Monday this time which is a bit unfortunate for us worker bees. However, an extra day is an extra day and you can always put aside a different day to make the most of. Here are ten ways you could spend it:
- Volunteer for a day: Evidence from Harvard and other institutes suggests that volunteering is good for the mind and body. Volunteer for a cause you care about and it could benefit you both. Check out do-it.org to find an opportunity.
- Treat yourself: Buy those shoes you’ve been eyeing up for months, book on a pamper day or spoil yourself with some sweet treats. Go on you deserve it.
- Get creative: Creative activities can reduce stress and increase positive emotions. Get the paints out, start writing that book, revamp some furniture or grab yourself an adult colouring book and some crayons and get shading.
- Go on an adventure: Visit a place you’ve never been to before, hike in the great outdoors or hire a boat and cruise down the river. You don’t even have to go too far. Your own town may have an interesting tour or guided walk. I can recommend the St Neots Ghost Walk for local people.
- Have a movie marathon: Grab the duvet, surround yourself with supplies of popcorn, switch your phone to silent and settle down to watch your favourite films. Whether that’s Disney, Star Wars, musicals or Harry Potter is up to you.
- Do something that scares you: Stepping out of your comfort zone can open your eyes to new experiences and help prepare you for unexpected changes. You could try unusual foods, strike up a conversation with a neighbour or have a go at a new sport. Huntingdon Town Ladies Football Club are looking for new players.
- Catch up: Invite over that friend or family member you’ve been meaning to get in touch with.Put the kettle on, get out the special biscuits, and catch up over a cuppa.
- Learn a new skill: Upskill yourself and master something new. You could take a first aid course, learn to play a musical instrument, improve your culinary skills or even grasp a new language.
- Read a book:What greater way to relax than reading a good book? Pick up that novel you’ve been meaning to read and lose yourself in it from cover to cover. If you just have a couple of hours, you could read my young adult novella The Charm.
- Clear out:Take those clothes and shoes you haven’t worn for years down to the charity shop. And now there is space in your wardrobe you have a great excuse to fill it again!
Have a good day!